Friday, March 12, 2010

The Good and the Bad and Ugly

We've gotten some requests for pictures of our respective medical conditions, and I am happy to comply. Our blog never has enough Emily, and I enjoy frightening children with my ghastly appearance.

To celebrate our mini break in the weather and subsequent partial thawing, we took pictures in our ever-manicured backyard after church and before chicken. Note how I skillfully contrast Emily's beauty with the humble compost heap. That's art. She really is a beautiful pregnant (and non-pregnant, and sleeping, and laboring...) woman, and I'm proud to call her my own.


The first few times people made comments about my lack of hair I felt a malicious little delight as the conversation headed towards the inevitable "Actually, I have cancer" crescendo. This is probably because I am kind of bald anyway.

Over time, though, I just started feeling bad for people when I could see it dawning on them that my hair loss was caused by chemotherapy. I still go through that little dance a few times a week, but little fuzzy hairs are starting to sprout and soon I will just revert to my natural baldness. I started shaving again, though my beard is pretty sparse and now I have a 3 o'clock shadow on my upper lip.

Hopefully my calves stay smooth and pale; they look remarkably like raw, skinless chicken breasts. I just want to wash my hands whenever I look at them.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

You both look GREAT. Can't believe your baby will be here next month. Glad we'll get to see her in Canada!

BarbaraJo said...

What a good looking couple! James, I like you bald. You have a great shaped head and can pull it off. You should consider keeping that style.

Holm Life said...

Emily, how fun you look! Sure do love ya! And that growing baby girl! James, I was going to fix chicken for dinner but now all I can think of is your calves. (At least no body part resembles hamburger!) You look great and before you know it, you'll have more hair than you know what to do with. We're so grateful you feel better.

Andrea J said...

james, you look like a "super-villain" I mean that as a compliment

From,

Spencer

Brittons of Provo said...

My mom took great delight in building to the, "Actually I have cancer" crescendo every time a telemarketer called. It's the most effective way of getting them off the phone I have ever seen.

Emily, you look beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures of your new little girl. We will find out soon (hopefully tomorrow) and I am hoping it's a girl to complete the circle. :)

Marco and Lara Roetto said...

You look beautiful Emily! James, you look like a strong cancer survivor! We are proud of both of you and can't wait for our little Girla Murdock to arrive! Ella told me the other day she wants you to name her "Josie." She heard it on TV.

Emily M said...

This picture was published without my permission. We'll keep trying for a better glamor-shot. :)

Jeana Bird said...

You are gorgeous Emily! I can't wait to meet your little one! James...that chicken comment cracked me up...so funny. Glad your hair is growing back (Rob loved that day too).

Prism said...

OK, so now we aren't having chicken for dinner, here either!

James, unlike a certain brother-in-law (coughJansoncough) (or my own son!) you have a nice looking, non-scarred head! You are also looking a lot stronger, YAY!

When I was the new baby girl that was having debates over possible names, Cousin Becky J (age 3) suggested "Rosie-Cheeks Anderson". It is still available for your baby to use, although you might want to change the last name!

Prism said...

OOOPS! I posted before I mentioned how totally cute you look, Em! Wish we could see you in person!