Friday, February 08, 2008

A Bushel and a Peck


I have also been thinking about my experiences with Grandma Walker. She always welcomed me into her home and made me feel like family. I am amazed that only a few years ago, she made a giant king sized quilt for James and me for our wedding. We are using it on our bed right now. She also made Harry and Jack beautiful baby blankets. One of my favorite memories with her is when we took Harry to meet her when he was about 4 months old. She held him on her lap facing her and sang this song, which I had never heard at the time, but I made sure to learn it from her then:

I love you
a bushel and a peck
a bushel and a peck
and a hug around the neck
a hug around the neck
and a barrel and a heap
now I'm talking in my sleep
about you
about you
'cause I love you
a bushel and a peck
you bet your pretty neck I do

a tootle tootle tootle
a tootle tootle tootle
a tootle tootle tootle-ee-do

My boys love this song. It is so sweet and simple-- you can't help but believe the words. Harry and Jack sing along now, and we all feel happier after we've sung it.

We love you, Grandma.

EDIT by James: These are pictures from our visit to SLC in July, 2004 when Harry was just a little guy. We were stil living in Nampa, ID.

3 comments:

Holm Life said...

Hi-- I sent my comment via e-mail. but I'm curious to see if this works now-- Love, Debbie

Ben & Diane said...

It's always sad when grandparents die but it is reassuring to know that Grandma Walker was a great lady who loved the gospel. I wish I knew the tune to that song. It seems like a fun one. Sorry for your loss.

Lynn said...

The only way I know that song is from the musical Guys and Dolls. I like it so much more in the context of a baby song!