It's hard to believe that my first baby is seven. (He's been seven for a while, but I'm still struggling with the idea.) My feelings about him are extra poignant because he's been in a bit of a rough patch lately.
I think back to the time when it was just him and me during the day. We'd nap together and snuggle all we wanted. We adored each other. Now with four, I'm lucky if I get in a couple of hugs each as the day flies by. But that's why I really don't mind my big seven-year-old boy asking me as the lights go out, "Mom, can you come snuggle by me after you get Anna to sleep?" Yes! Yes! Yes! I will snuggle you every minute that I can until you don't want me to. And then I will cry and cry. Time is passing way too fast, and it terrifies me.
How's that for a belated happy birthday post?
(If you click on the above picture you can see some of Harris's previous birthday memories.)
Harris had a fun birthday celebration with grandparents and cousins in Nampa. The whole gang went swimming at the Rec Center. Harris loved the slide-- he is quite the swimmer. He specially requested heart-shaped pizza (in honor of his V-day birthday) and cupcakes for his party.
When we got back to IF, we celebrated again with our friends. I am kicking myself for not taking more pictures, but alas I did not.
Also in this album: Harris the handyman, repairing a doorknob-- such a relief-- the thing would not close. And Harris opening his present from Grandma and Grandpa Murdock. It's a movie theatre kit, and he has been enjoying making our movie experiences just like the theatre. Another pic of visiting my grandparents and of Anna being a cutie.
Since Harris's birthday, he started reading Calvin and Hobbes, and almost overnight his reading improved like crazy. We LOVE you, Bill Watterson.
I am really honored to be his mom, and I am thankful that Heavenly Father trusts me with this challenge and privilege.

4 comments:
Glad to see you guys are back! And with a great post! Love that kid! Give him a hug from me.
Oh, he's so cute! I love those pictures! And it is crazy to see him as a giant boy and remember him as a little baby. Love the pictures of his excited face as he opens his birthday gifts. :)
We love that cute big boy too! I will always remember when he stayed with us while James was sick. When he left- I cried because he had been such a great kid to have around!
I am glad we stopped calling him "Baby Harris." I remember feeling very old when James was baptized. Harris's next birthday will be even harder.
Post a Comment