Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Quick Update

We met with the oncologist yesterday-- he was good to take the time to answer our questions and was encouraging about the efficacy of the treatment James will undergo. James will be doing a 12-week treatment involving two different drugs. One of them is Platinol, which is basically liquid platinum-- I can't remember the name of the other. But they are some of the most powerful chemo drugs. I guess because testicular cancer largely effects young, otherwise healthy men, they can give them the strongest stuff available. But it won't be fun. They will basically be pumping this liquid metal through James's veins for 5 hours a day for 5 straight days. Then he'll get two weeks to recover, and then they'll do the same cycle 3 more times-- a total of 12 weeks including the recovery periods. The drugs will likely make him very nauseated, fatigued, etc. We aren't sure yet exactly when he'll be starting-- maybe as soon as Monday. He has to get another CT Scan because the urologist only ordered the previous CT scan for the abdomen/pelvic region, and the oncologist wants to make sure there is nothing abnormal in the chest area-- it's unlikely because this cancer usually spreads in a predictable pattern. After the CT scan on Wednesday, we'll see Dr. Sweetser (the oncologist) again on Friday to go over everything and set up the specifics, I assume. James is also getting the stitches from his surgery taken out on Wednesday, so he'll see the urologist again for that.

So keep James in your prayers--it's going to be quite miserable for him at best. We appreciate everyone's love and concern.... keep it coming. :)Love to all.

7 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so sorry. That sounds so horrible! I just got back in town and will be here until next Thursday (Dec. 10), so if you need me to watch your kids at anytime, let me know. I would be happy to be able to help in any way possible.

SJ said...

So does this mean we get to call him Wolverine?

Rachel said...

Thanks for the update--please keep them coming. And I am inviting myself to your house to babysit...soon!!!

Marco and Lara Roetto said...

We are all praying for you. We want to take it all away- but since we can't- please let us help you in any way possible. Jacob prays for "Uncle James to be okay" in every single prayer he says. We love you!

Miriam said...

Wow, we were floored when we read the news. James and the rest of you are all in our prayers. Congratulations on the pregnancy, Emily, I hope this joy is not too overshadowed by this trial in your life. I'll also pray for a girl. :)Hang in their James!
The Popes

Ben & Diane said...

Thanks for the update Emily. I feel badly for James....and you and the boys too for that matter. It won't be fun but I know James will take it as well as anyone could. I'm curious to know how you guys found out. Was James having serious symptoms? We will keep you guys in our prayers. I hope you all have strength at this time. How are you feeling?

Lori said...

James, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. You can be sure you will be in our family's prayers. I hope it all goes well and that you are able to handle the treatments without too much discomfort.