Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Big 3-0

So this is quite a bit late, but James's birthday was on Friday. We were lucky enough to have James's mom, Barbara, and brother, John, with us. We did a lot of birthday things, but it was spread out over a few days. We have kind of a birthday tradition of going to whatever Harry Potter movie is coming out around James's birthday, so we got to do that this year-- Barbara watched the boys (thank you, thank you!), and what a fabulous movie it was. We had cake and ice cream with some of James's cousins in the area the night before his birthday. And on his birthday, he went to a lawyer lunch with his mom at which a good friend of hers from law school was the speaker. Then we got Chinese takeout for dinner, and I made shortbread with raspberries and cream for a tasty little dessert. The raspberries are from our own garden-- though we didn't plant them, we sure love them. It was probably a bit of an anticlimactic 30th birthday, but James is a great sport and took it all very gracefully.

Let me count the ways that I love and appreciate James.
#1 He is doing the dishes and vacuuming as I write this.
#2 He loves cooking, and he is lot more adventurous (and successful) than I am.
#3 He is an impeccably good and honorable man with a huge heart.
#4 He is a genius and keeps me wanting to know and understand more about everything.
#5 He never complains when the house is a mess, when I am a mess, or when dinner is slow or a mess.
#6 I am totally confident in his love for me.
#7 He loves our boys fiercely-- ask them, he can be fierce.
#8 His huge smile still charms me every day.
#9 His faith is strong and helps mine along when I need it.
#10 And millions more....

I am lucky to have him, and I knew when I saw his baby pictures that I wanted my baby boys to look just like him. Here's to the next thirty years, sweetie.















6 comments:

CurtisAdie said...

Happy 30th! I love the pictures!!!

Barbara said...

We miss you aleady. So glad we could be there. Your marriage is a wonderful partnership.

Holm Life said...

Wonderful post dedicated to a wonderful guy! I can't imagine why-- maybe I have MJ on the brain-- but a couple of the "kid posts" look a teensy bit like Michael Jackson as a kid. Might be the hair....
But Sweet Baby James in the clothes basket looks exactly like Will!

rachel said...

Jimbo! Happy Birthday! You used to be so cute...What happened? Lots of love!

Lynn said...

Great post! Looks like you guys had fun. I'm jealous of the raspberries!

Rachel said...

This is the greatest post ever. Emily, I'm glad you can appreciate James. :) I love all of the pictures!!!