I had fun thinking about memories with my cousin, Meggan, when I saw this on her blog, so I thought I'd post it, too.
1. Add a comment on my blog, leave one memory (or many, I don't mind!)that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you knew me a little or a lot, anything you remember!
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. It's actually pretty funny to see the responses. If you leave a memory about me, I'll assume you're playing the game and I'll come to your blog and leave one about you.
5 comments:
As Emily's mom, I have many memories of her. I can never see long-stemmed red roses without remembering this one: During her Junior year, she hoped that a certain young man would ask her to prom. It looked promising, and she thought it might happen at the stake dance. And it may have-- except that near the end of the dance, the disc jockey asked her to come onto the stage. She hoped it was a special invitation from that special guy-- but it turned out to be a coercive invitation from a thin, short, sickly dullard. The kind who realizes his best chance to get a date is through public pressure-- by offering a girl a dozen roses on the stage at the stake dance if she will go to prom with him. Emily has always preferred wild flowers to hothouse roses, and she had high hopes of being asked by someone else. But there she was, being offered those roses. If she turned him down, she would be patently mean to "someone less fortunate." The d,j. asked the crowd, "What do you think she should say?" And a hundred adolescents chanted "Say yes!" (it wasn't THEIR Junior Prom that was being high-jacked, after all!) What could she do? She said yes, accepted the roses, hurried home in high dudgeon, and, with a scream of rage, flung the flowers across our darkened bedroom-- breaking the blossoms off of many of them. She cried a good cry, and then went to prom graciously. But she made her plans to never to "settle" again. She kept on looking until she found the tall, dark, intelligent, funny and charming man of her dreams, then they married and began to bring more of the same kind of boys into the world, proving that a bad prom experience doesn't have to ruin your life.
Another memory I have is how cute Emily was in her "Doo-doo wah" dress, a little yellow and turquoise dress that I thought was too casual for an Easter dress, but which she loved. Also-- in relation to her recent birthday-- all she wanted for her third birthday was "gummy." And she has always been sweet and easy to please that way.
I remember having a sleepover at your house, playing in the girls clubhouse at the farm, writing letters (occasionally!) playing in the girls room, going on wildflower hikes, and like you said...lots and lots of teaparties! Isn't family wonderful?
Okay, I have so many memories of Emily (the greatest gal in the world) but the funniest memory that I will never, ever forget happened in Rexburg, Idaho. And because I am not a writer, the magnitude of the humor in this situation will be lost but take my word for it, I laughed hard for at least an hour (and I still laugh thinking about it) it was HILARIOUS!
Emily had a car named Pete (I think). It was an older Suburu wagon and we had some good times in that car. But one day, after it had snowed, melted a little, and froze and then snowed again and was melting we tried to go somewhere. We backed out of the parking stall into a HUGE puddle and got STUCK! So the funny part was when we were trying (for a really long time) to unstick the car. There was ice, nasty water, snow going everywhere the car just wasn't moving and there was a lot of falling involved. Needless to say the car finally got out but it was funny (Emily didn't think it was that funny but I couldn't even talk because I was laughing so hard).
I also remember a cute wooden bunny I recieved as a gift for Easter in the 8th grade (I still have it).
When I think of Emily I think of U2and Jack Johnson and snow cones.
I remember a time at BYU-I when I invited James to come with Emily and I to Hogi Yogi for lunch before devotional (we went to Hogi Yogi a few times).
My teenage years, early twenties were AMAZING because of Emily! Good times! I love you Em!
I remember the fun things you would say all of the time when we were neighbors in college. Some of my favorites are, "Orion, my love." (as you looked up at the stars), and (upon seeing your apartment decorated for Valentine's Day) "Oh, look. Love is in the air." I loved being your neighbor because there was always something fun or funny going on.
I want you to know, I'm getting married. I got engaged last week. Next time you're in the library, can I get your address so I can send you an announcement? xoxo
How fun Emily! I started thinking about memories of you guys and I remember walking in the alley between our two apartments in Morningside. I specifically remember how fed up we (especially James) all were about the hoodlums that were hanging around on the corner of Chislet St. I also remember having FHE with you guys and the Secrests. Fun times, hope you are well!
Erin
Post a Comment